About Us

Rev. Dr. Royce Manoj Victor
Bishop

Malabar Diocese

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose" [Romans 8:26]

Bifurcation of North Kerala Diocese into Dioceses of Malabar and Cochin officially came into effect on 9th April 2015 during the Special Synod meeting held in Chennai. The Official declaration of the formation of the Diocese of Malabar was made by the Moderator of the Church of South India the Most Rev. Dr. G. Dyvasirvadam in a grand Thanks giving service held at CSI Cathedral, Kozhikode on the 11th of October 2015.Subsequently,the Diocese of Malabar started functioning in the Head Office in the CSI Diocesan Office, Bank Road, Kozhikode, under the Chairmanship of the Moderator's Commissary Rt. Rev. B. N. Fenn and Administrative Committee appointed by the Synod.

The Administrative Committee functioned until the election and formation of the Executive Committee and Office Bearers for Malabar Diocese in the Diocesan Council meeting held on 24th September 2015.

The first meeting of the Diocesan Council was held at the CSI Cathedral, Kozhikode on 14th July 2015. The Council adopted new constitution for the functioning of the Diocese. The Moderator's Commissary the Rt. Rev. B. N. Fenn chaired the meeting.


The second meeting of the Diocesan Council was held at the CSI St. Mary's English Church, Kozhikode on 24th September 2015. The Moderator the Most Rev. Dr. G. Dyvasirvadam presided over the meeting. The Moderator's Commissary was also present in the meeting. The Council elected new officers and Executive Committee and representatives to the Synod. The following were elected as the Officers of the Diocese:

  • Clergy Secretary – Rev. Jacob Daniel
  • Lay Secretary - Mr. Desmond Babu
  • Treasurer - Mr. M.N. George

Malabar Diocese is comprising the area within Kerala State in the north, spread in five revenue districts such as Palakkad, Malappuram, Kozhikode, Wayanad and Kannur consisting of 85 churches including the out stations. There are 46 Presbyters and 36 Upadesis and Church Workers engaged in the ecclesiastical services within the Diocese.

We are doing the Ministry by serving the society through following Diocesan institutions. 51 schools,2 colleges, 1 Technical School, 1 Hospital, Homes for financially backward children, Working Women's hostel, etc. We thank God that our educational institutions are always in the forefront maintaining standard of education par excellence with other schools. Our Mission Hospital in Codacal; especially the newly commissioned physical rehabilitation centre is doing an effective healing ministry. Our Pre-Marital counselling program is functioning very systematically in our Retreat Centre in Kozhikode.

We thank God for giving us the following group of dynamic team leaders to head our ministry.

  • Pastoral & Ministerial - Rev. Jacob Daniel, Clergy Secretary
  • Property Department - Mr. Reginold Walter, Secretary
  • Mission & Evangelism - Mr. George K. Thomas, Convener
  • Social Board - Rev. P. T. George, Convener
  • Ecology- Rev. Joy Masilamani, Director
  • Education Board- Rev. Saju Benjamin (Aided Schools), Corporate Manager Mr. Reiner Kuniyath (Un-aided Schools), Manager
  • Christian Education- Rev. T. J. Joseph, General Secretary
  • College Managers- Rev. Jacob Daniel (Christian Muller College) Mr. Jayapal Samuel Zachai (Malabar Christian College)
  • Women's Board- Mrs.Bindu Royce, President, Women's Fellowship
  • Medical Board- Rev. Dr. T. I. James, Director
  • Communications& Sabhamitharm- Rev.Sunil Puthiyattil, Director and Chief Editor
  • Youth Board- Rev. Bernet M.P., General Secretary

The people of Malabar Diocese had a very memorable event of the Grand finale of the bicentenary celebration of Basel Mission at Calicut on the 11th October 2015. The spectacular historic rally through the streets of Calicut city will never fade away from the minds the young and old. Our Moderator Most Rev. Dr. G. Dyvasirvadam, Officers of the Synod, Bishops, Leaders of the secular society and hundreds of Church members took part in the jubilant occasion.

Another mile stone in the history of Malabar Diocese is the election of the panel to select the first Shepherd to our Diocese on the 16th February 2016. By the Grace of God almighty Rt. Rev. Dr. Royce Manoj Victor was consecrated as the first bishop of the Diocese of Malabar on 17th May 2016 in a service held at the CSI Cathedral, Kozhikode.

The First Executive committee met on 20th May 2016 under the chairmanship of the new Bishop of the Diocese. In this meeting the Bishop stressed upon to give more emphasis on further extending missionary works which is our prime responsibility. Hence, the Diocese is now focusing on self- financing projects by each parish thus to complement the income of the Diocese. Our dream is to acquire our own mission field in the near future. The 19 sub-committees under the executive committee are functioning very well. Our Diocesan magazine "CSI Malabar Sabhamithram" is playing a vital role in efficient communication media. Very soon we will have own website and with various links which will be useful to all our members.

The Diocese has taken keen interest in enriching Sunday School, Youth fellowship and women's Fellowship through introducing various projects and educative sessions. Our ecological concern department is vigorously making awareness drive concentrating in all our parishes and in the neighbourhood. We are targeting for declaring all our 43 parishes as "Green Parishes" by the year 2018.

Most of our Basel Mission- built Churches are celebrating 150th to 175th years anniversaries. We are in the move to renovate /re build these churches in the coming years and so also the parsonages.

At present we are in the process of building our own Bishop's House in our office premises.

It is really amazing to see how God is leading ahead the new Diocese of Malabar, in the midst of various crises and confusions.

"And my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus" [Philippians 4: 16:19].

Diocesan Officers


Rev. N. K. Sunny

Clergy Secretary

CSI Diocesan Office, 
Bank Road Calicut,
Kerala – 673001

0495-2721748 / 2722748 / 2723748
csimalabardiocese@gmail.com

Mr. Kenneth Laser

Lay Secretary

CSI Diocesan Office, 
Bank Road Calicut,
Kerala – 673001

0495-2721748 / 2722748 / 2723748
csimalabardiocese@gmail.com

Mr. Desmond Babu

Treasurer

‘Sajaly’, Janatha Road,
Karuvissery (PO)
Calicut – 673010, 
Kerala

0495-2721748 / 2722748 / 2723748
09847111392
desmondbclt@gmail.com
treasurer.csimalabardiocese@gmail.com

News & Events

News
  • Home for homeless. Land for landless. A true Christian act from a member of CSI Cathedral, Calicut (Kozhikode), Malabar Diocese.

Home for homeless. Land for landless. A true Christian act from a member of CSI Cathedral, Calicut (Kozhikode), Malabar Diocese.

A blessed family shared their landed property and made other four families as land owners (A property worth of 12000000). The four Registered documents of the land handed over today (31/01/2021)

Four plots of three cents with 10 feet wide road access. 50 mts from Calicut bypass road worth of 1000000 per cent) was handed over the registered documents to four financially unprivileged families @ CSI Cathedral today without any audience. May God bless these families. Home for homeless was one of our continuing prayer requests during Cathedral Night Prayers and it was the impact of these regular prayers for the last more than 300 days. Thank you God, Thank you well wisher family and thank you Cathedral Night Prayers. All glory to God.

Read More

  • St. John's CSI English Church in Kannur Turns into a Conserved Monument
  • St. John's CSI English Church in Kannur Turns into a Conserved Monument
  • St. John's CSI English Church in Kannur Turns into a Conserved Monument
  • St. John's CSI English Church in Kannur Turns into a Conserved Monument
  • St. John's CSI English Church in Kannur Turns into a Conserved Monument
  • St. John's CSI English Church in Kannur Turns into a Conserved Monument
  • St. John's CSI English Church in Kannur Turns into a Conserved Monument
  • St. John's CSI English Church in Kannur Turns into a Conserved Monument
  • St. John's CSI English Church in Kannur Turns into a Conserved Monument
  • St. John's CSI English Church in Kannur Turns into a Conserved Monument
  • St. John's CSI English Church in Kannur Turns into a Conserved Monument
  • St. John's CSI English Church in Kannur Turns into a Conserved Monument
  • St. John's CSI English Church in Kannur Turns into a Conserved Monument
  • St. John's CSI English Church in Kannur Turns into a Conserved Monument
  • St. John's CSI English Church in Kannur Turns into a Conserved Monument
  • St. John's CSI English Church in Kannur Turns into a Conserved Monument

St. John's CSI English Church in Kannur Turns into a Conserved Monument


St. John's English Church in Kannur under the Malabar Diocese of the Church of South India (CSI) has been declared as a conserved monument and dedicated to the common public by Mr Ramachandran Kadannappalli; Minister for Museums, Archaeology and Archives, in a function held at the church. Rt. Rev. Royce Manoj Victor, the Bishop in the Diocese, officially received the preserved documents from the minister. Mr K. Sudhakaran, Member of Parliament, chaired the function.

A considerable amount of Rupees 86.50 Lakhs (8.65 million) was spent on the conservation of the church building. An amount of Rupees 22.29 Lakhs was allotted to preserve the invaluable documents of the church. The Minister expressed the willingness of the State to conserve the cemetery of the church in which around five hundred foreigners were buried.

There are documents as old as in 1853 among the preserved ones by the government. Around ten thousand pages from various documents such as a Holy Bible published in 1892, Baptism register, Marriage Register, and Service Register are preserved by the Museum of Kerala in this process.

Rev. Raju Cheeran, the Vicar of the church and the committee members organised the meeting following the COVID protocols.

(St John's CSI Anglican Church, the first Protestant Church in Malabar, established in 1811, is one of the oldest British monuments in north Kerala and is situated in the Kannur Cantonment. The church was established for the British militia who was camping here and was constructed by the Military engineers from Madras (now Chennai, in Tamilnadu). In a treaty with the Tipu Sultan of Mysore, in 1792, the whole of Malabar North Kerala and part of South Karnataka) became under the British East India Company. In 1805, the East India Company decided to establish churches in all their seven military garrisons, including Kannur.

As directed by the Chaplain of Madras Presidency, the plan and estimate for the chapel with a capacity of 600 persons was then prepared by the Military Board. In 1811the work of this chapel was completed with an amount of 5000 pagodas (Rs.36,000/-). A cemetery was also provided near the church. In 1808, Rev. John Dustar Willy was appointed for conducting Holy mass for the military and civilians and the construction was under his supervision. Later he served as Chaplain for more than 15 years, till his death. Immediately after the completion of the Church, the directors wrote a letter to the Senior Chaplain the Archbishop of Canterbury, seeking permission to officially dedicate the church and cemetery. But the function was delayed due to various reasons. In 1833, with the withdrawal of the Military Guards from the church, it became more civilian oriented. Later when Basel mission arrived in Kannur, their missionaries conducted services. In 1852, the church has renovated and modified.

The construction is a combination of Kerala and the Greek styles and from an aerial view, it looks like a cross. The Greek-style pillars and the design have been adopted from the style which was popular in those times in England. The main portion of the church measures 70ft length, 47ft breadth and 41ft height. The church is constructed in laterite bricks with lime plastering having a tiled roof, wooden ceiling and granite slabs for flooring.. The altar is simple. The chairs, benches and the pulpit are in wood and still stand elegant. Many marble plaques are mounted on the walls in memory of Britishers. This includes the one in memory of the three Army officers who died in the Coorg war in 1834 and one in memory of Murdoch Brown, who cultivated the Cinnamon plantations in Anjarakkandy. Apart from the main hall, there are separate portions for military prisoners (who serve as assistants) during sermons and mass. The small annexes in the church is said to have been used as horse stables

So many documents related to the church like Baptism register, Cemetery register, reports and accounts of the church, Books on Prayers and songs, utensils all are still preserved.

The cemetery accommodates many tombstones of various types and sizes. Some tombstones are totally damaged and some parts and covered in thick undergrowth. Most of the tombstones are made of laterite bricks with a marble slab on top, inscribed with the personal details of the buried of which the majority are Europeans. Even though the graveyard is in a bad condition, the structures of the graveyard take us back to the glorious past of the British in India.

Information Courtesy: Article on St John's church by Rev. K. C. Thomas published in Malayalam during the 175th anniversary year, based on the book 'The Church of Madras, Vol II', by the Rev. Fr. Frank Penny.)

Read More

  • CSI Malabar Diocese Opens Bookstall in the Heart of the City of Calicut
  • CSI Malabar Diocese Opens Bookstall in the Heart of the City of Calicut
  • CSI Malabar Diocese Opens Bookstall in the Heart of the City of Calicut
  • CSI Malabar Diocese Opens Bookstall in the Heart of the City of Calicut
  • CSI Malabar Diocese Opens Bookstall in the Heart of the City of Calicut
  • CSI Malabar Diocese Opens Bookstall in the Heart of the City of Calicut
  • CSI Malabar Diocese Opens Bookstall in the Heart of the City of Calicut
  • CSI Malabar Diocese Opens Bookstall in the Heart of the City of Calicut
  • CSI Malabar Diocese Opens Bookstall in the Heart of the City of Calicut
  • CSI Malabar Diocese Opens Bookstall in the Heart of the City of Calicut
  • CSI Malabar Diocese Opens Bookstall in the Heart of the City of Calicut
  • CSI Malabar Diocese Opens Bookstall in the Heart of the City of Calicut
  • CSI Malabar Diocese Opens Bookstall in the Heart of the City of Calicut
  • CSI Malabar Diocese Opens Bookstall in the Heart of the City of Calicut
  • CSI Malabar Diocese Opens Bookstall in the Heart of the City of Calicut

CSI Malabar Diocese Opens Bookstall in the Heart of the City of Calicut


Malabar Diocese of the Church of South India (CSI), one among the youngest of the Church, opened the Diocesan Bookstall at Calicut (Kozhikode) in a prime place in the city.

The Bookstall was inaugurated on the 22nd January 2021 by Rt. Rev. Dr Royce Manoj Victor, the Bishop in the Diocese in the presence of Mr Desmond babu; Diocesan Treasurer, Rev. N. K. Sunny; Clergy Secretary, Mr Kenneth Lazar; Lay Secretary, and Rev. Joe Varghese Malayil; Director, Dept. of Communications.

Bibles in different languages and versions, other spiritual books, Liturgy of even other Christian denominations, vestments of priests, wine and wafer, and materials for the use in churches are available here. Moreover, this bookstall is set to function as a students centre too. Services like DTP, Photostat, Spiral Binding, and Lamination, which are useful for students, also will be available here.

Reported with inputs from
Rev. Joe Varghese Malayil
Director, Dept. of Communications,
CSI Malabar Diocese

Read More

  • Renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college
  • Renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college
  • Renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college
  • Renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college
  • Renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college
  • Renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college
  • Renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college
  • Renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college
  • Renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college
  • Renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college
  • Renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college
  • Renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college
  • Renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college
  • Renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college
  • Renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college
  • Renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college

Renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college

The Rt. Rev. Dr. Royce Manoj Victor, the respected Bishop of the CSI Diocese of Malabar, Inaugurated the renovated road with new pavement and dedicated the renovated classrooms of CSI Christian Muller women's college Chombala on 11th December 2020.

Read More

  • Dedication ceremony
  • Dedication ceremony
  • Dedication ceremony
  • Dedication ceremony
  • Dedication ceremony
  • Dedication ceremony
  • Dedication ceremony
  • Dedication ceremony

Dedication ceremony

Dedication ceremony of the newly constructed CSI Church at Ambalavayal, Wayanad under the Diocese of Malabar.The Rt. Rev. Dr. Royce Manoj Victor, the Bishop of the CSI Diocese of Malabar open up the Church for the people on 15th November 2020 .

 

2020 ??????? 15 ???? ???????? ????????????? ????????????? ?????? ???????? st. paul ' s CSI ???????. ????? ???????? ?????????? ????????? ?????? ????? ?????? ???????? ??????????? ????????? ??????? ??????????

Read More



Events
No Events


Get in Touch

CSI Diocesan Office, 
Bank Road Calicut,
Kerala – 673001

0495 – 2721748
0495 – 2722748
0495 – 2723748
csimalabardiocese@gmail.com

Enquiry

Our Gallery

Gallery